Thursday, December 15, 2011

Golden Bird Award: Sony and Media Molecule

I hate doing this, but here we go. Sony and Media Molecule, you guys win my Golden Bird Award for screwing over your devoted fans a second time in a row.

When LittleBigPlanet first came out in October 2008, I didn't hesitate to preorder. Media Molecule was new, LittleBigPlanet was new, and I rarely preorder games. But I had faith in this little game of yours, and I took a chance and dropped my cash before ever having a chance to play it. In the early days of the game, the servers were plagued with problems, but I hung in there and was rewarded with one of the most innovated games to hit consoles in a long time.

I bought your DLC, the costumes and extra levels. I hyped it up to my friends. I called it one of the best things ever. And I watched it as it grew and evolved over time. The game won many awards, all of which it certainly deserved. But then...

In September 2009, you guys rereleased it as "Game of the Year Edition." It was sold at $60 and was packed with tons of DLC that had already been available. But it also came with exclusive levels from community members that were not available on the previous edition of the game.

Why would I buy that? I already own the game, and most of the DLC that came packed with it. Should I rebuy the game at $60 to have 18 new levels? Seriously? I held out hoping that  the extra levels would soon be released as DLC.

Of course, that never happened. And I was infuriated then that my early adoption of the game and long time devotion was being disregarded in hopes that I would shell out more money.

Fast forward to January 2011. LittleBigPlanet2 is released. Having already been a fan of the first game, I was extremely excited about everything new that was promised in LittleBigPlanet2. I preordered it - and not just the game, but the Collector's Edition with book ends and Sackboy plushie. When it arrived, I was not disappointed. Everything about LittleBigPlanet2 was just awesome.

Then, this past November, they release LittleBigPlanet2: Special Edition. At $60. With a bunch of DLC that I've already purchased. And 10 exclusive new levels.

So this is twice now. Twice that my devotion has been shat on in hopes that I'll shell out more money for a few extra levels. And I'm not going to do it.

I didn't just buy your games, I preordered them. I had faith in what you guys wanted to create and I bought into it early. I've been here from the beginning. And I have given you plenty of my money. But I am NOT going to buy your games twice just to get a few extra levels.

So if you have any plans to make a LittleBigPlanet3, don't expect me to rush out and get it. I'll sit back and wait for the Special Edition.

So congratulations, Sony Computer Entertainment and Media Molecule, heres your Golden Bird Award. Now take it shove it up your ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment